Given how often you use your kitchen sink, it is one of the most susceptible drains in your house to clogs. If yours gets clogged and you’d like to try to fix the problem before giving us a call, try following these instructions for how to unclog a kitchen sink on your own.
Why does a kitchen sink get clogged?
Like all the drains in your home, your kitchen sink has what’s known as a “trap” in the piping below. This trap is often a “U” shaped pipe that is designed to catch anything that was mistakenly dropped down the drain. It also blocks harmful sewer gasses from travelling up through your sink. The trap is often the site of kitchen sink clogs because food and other objects can build up in the trap, especially if you put things like grease down the sink that don’t drain well.
How to unclog a kitchen sink with a plunger
Many people don’t realize that a plunger is not just for your toilet! It’s actually a very useful tool for unclogging any drains in your home. Follow these steps to try unclogging your kitchen sink with a plunger:
- 1. Partially fill your sink with water
- 2. If you have two drains, cover the other one to allow the pressure from the plunger to do its work
- 3. Cover the drain completely with the plunger and give it a few forceful plunges
- 4. Remove the plunger and see if the clog drains away
How to unclog a kitchen sink with a homemade drain cleaning solution
You can also try to unclog your sink with a homemade drain cleaning solution. Unlike drain cleaners that you buy at the store, a homemade solution doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals. Follow these steps to try unclogging your kitchen sink with a homemade drain cleaning solution:
- 1. Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar and 1 part baking soda (1/3-1/2 a cup of each will suffice)
- 2. Quickly pour the solution down the drain while it’s still fizzing
- 3. Allow the solution to sit for about five minutes
- 4. Run hot water down the drain and see if the clog has cleared away
If you have any questions about how to unclog a kitchen sink, or if you’d like the service of a professional plumber, contact Cabrillo, your San Francisco plumbing, heating and cooling company. We service the San Francisco area and surrounding cities like Orinda, Belmont, Atherton and Burlingame.