Drain clogs can be a huge nuisance in your home. They smell, cause water to drain slowly and get more and more severe as time goes on. Instead of waiting in dread for your next clog to develop, wouldn’t it better to take some steps to prevent clogs from occurring in the first place? Today we’re going to help you do that by talking about how to prevent drain clogs in your Bay Area home!
How to prevent drain clogs in your Bay Area home
- Be mindful of what you put down your drains. One of the easiest ways to prevent drain clogs is to avoid sending problematic substances down your drains in the first place. When it comes tokitchen drains, grease and oils are the biggest culprits behind clogs because they solidify in your drains and catch other particles that move past them. Collect grease and oils in some sort of container and dispose of them in the trash. You should also dispose of coffee grounds and large food particles in the trash instead of down your drains, because both of them can easily lead to clogs as well.
- Loosen up potential clogs with hot water. About once a month, boil a gallon of hot water and pour it down your kitchen, bathroom and shower drains. The hot water will help loosen up any clogs that have begun to develop and will make it easier for them to break off and drain away. After pouring the hot water down your drains, run regular warm tap water for a minute to wash away any clogs that have loosened up.
- Fill your sinks and tubs with water and drain them. Another strategy for loosening up drain clogs is to attack them with a heavy flow of water. You can do this by putting a stopper on your drains and filling up your sinks and tubs with water. After the sinks and tubs are filled, pull out the stopper and let the water rush down your drains. Doing this about once a month will help stop large clogs from developing.
- Use grates and covers for your drains. Drain grates and covers are very useful for avoiding clogs because they catch large and problematic particles and prevent them from going down your drains. In your showers, these grates and covers will catch things like hair and soap scum. In your kitchen sinks, these grates will catch large food particles while you are doing the dishes.
- Clear your drain grates and covers. In order to allow your drain grates and covers to do their job properly, it’s important to clean and clear them periodically. Remove any hair, soap scum or food particles from your grates and covers and dispose of those particles in the trash.
- Schedule annual drain cleaning. Perhaps the best way to prevent drain clogs is to scheduleannual drain cleaning with Cabrillo. We’ll professionally inspect and clean the drains in your home so that their insides look and perform as good as new.
If you have any questions about how to prevent drain clogs, or if you’d like a plumbing system serviced or installed in your home, contact Cabrillo, your Bay Area plumbing, heating and air conditioning contractor.